Systems Ltd reported a Profit After Tax (PAT) of Rs5.2 billion, equivalent to an Earnings Per Share (EPS) of Rs18.23 per share. This marked a significant increase compared to the PAT of Rs2.9 billion (EPS: Rs10.21 per share) during the same period last year. However, on Quarterly basis, the Profitability was down by 64% to PKR 1.4bn.
Here are the key points which led to lower profitability in the June-2023 Quarter
Gross Margins: The company’s gross margins for the second quarter of CY23 declined from 32% to 27%. This decrease was attributed to factors such as high inflation, increased amortization costs, rising energy costs, and the devaluation of the PKR/USD exchange rate. These factors led to higher expenses for licenses and subscription fees.
Depreciation and Amortization: SYS faced substantial depreciation and amortization charges due to its acquisition of intellectual property (IP) from NDC Tech in the previous year.
Outlook: The outlook for the company, particularly for JOMO, is described as neutral to negative, mainly due to adverse economic conditions.
Other Income: Out of the $2.8 billion in other income, $1.7 billion was generated through realized exchange gains.
Cost of Sales: The cost of sales included significant amortization costs ($0.25 million per month) related to the purchased intellectual property (IP) from NDC Tech during the second half of CY22.
Operating Profit: SYS reported a 47% increase in operating profit to PKR 3,513 million during the first half of CY23. In dollarized terms, the operating profit increased by 1% year-on-year to USD 12.9 million.
Operating Margins: Operating margins for 1HCY23 were recorded at 14%, compared to 21% in the same period last year. The lower operating margins were attributed to one-off investment adjustments in JOMO and IFRS9 adjustments on receivables considering the current macroeconomic conditions.
Growth Sectors: The company is experiencing strong growth in the retail and Consumer Packaged Goods (CPG) sectors, where it believes it has significant expertise.
Jugnu: SYS is shifting its focus on Jugnu towards a more tech-centric approach with an emphasis on holding fewer assets, making the company more efficient and technology-driven.
Taxation: The company is currently subject to a 0.25% tax rate on exports, and the super tax is levied at 4% on both local and foreign income.
Share Buyback: SYS currently has no plans for a share buyback. Instead, the company’s strategy is to focus on exports and growth through investments to enhance shareholder value.
Revenue Diversification: The top 20 clients contributed to approximately 51% of revenue for 1HCY23, compared to 53% in the same period last year, indicating a diversification of revenue sources.
Global Expansion: SYS continues its global expansion into the Middle East regions and invested $15 million last year to secure exclusive licensing rights for the Banking and Financial Segments in the GCC region.
Recurring Clients: The management stated that 81% of revenue is generated from recurring clients.
Revenue Breakdown: The company derives nearly all of its earnings from exports, with approximately 82% of earnings generated through this channel. The Middle East represents the largest share at 52%, followed by North America at 24%, Pakistan at 18%, and Europe at 3%.
Currency Mix: Most of the company’s revenue (82%) is in USD, while 18% is in PKR. However, when it comes to costs, the majority (66%) are incurred in PKR, with the remaining 34% in foreign currency.
Cost Rationalization: The management expects that the additional costs related to incorporated subsidies and NDC will be rationalized over time as economies of scale are realized.
Latest posts by News Desk (see all)
- Oil Prices down amid Geo-Political Uncertainty - November 1, 2023
- Govt to borrow PKR8.5 trillion in Bond Auction till Jan-2024 - November 1, 2023
- Nishat Chunian Ltd: 1QFY24 profit rises 13 percent to PKR 500mn - October 31, 2023