Dr. Shamshad Akhtar, a renowned economist from Pakistan, has provided significant contributions to policy discussions both nationally and internationally. Her policy directions are guided by a holistic and sustainable approach to economic development, social inclusion, and environmental stewardship. The following are some key policy directions that reflect her expertise and vision:
1. Sustainable Development: Dr. Akhtar emphasizes the importance of sustainable development that balances economic growth, social equity, and environmental protection. Her policy direction encourages integrating the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) into national development strategies to ensure that economic progress is environmentally friendly and socially inclusive.
2. Inclusive Growth: Inclusivity is a central tenet of Dr. Akhtar’s policy approach. She advocates for policies that promote equitable access to opportunities, resources, and benefits of economic growth. This involves targeted interventions to uplift marginalized communities, reduce income inequality, and improve access to education, healthcare, and other basic services.
3. Infrastructure Investment: Recognizing the role of infrastructure in fostering economic growth and development, Dr. Akhtar promotes policies that prioritize strategic investments in transport, energy, telecommunications, and other critical sectors. These investments not only enhance economic productivity but also contribute to job creation and poverty reduction.
4. Financial Inclusion: Dr. Akhtar emphasizes the importance of expanding access to financial services, particularly for the underserved and unbanked populations. Her policy direction includes measures to enhance financial literacy, promote microfinance initiatives, and develop innovative fintech solutions to bring the benefits of formal financial systems to a wider segment of the population.
5. Climate Change and Environmental Sustainability: Environmental sustainability is a key focus for Dr. Akhtar. She advocates for policies that address climate change, promote clean energy adoption, and encourage sustainable natural resource management. Her policy direction encourages the integration of environmental considerations into economic decision-making processes.
6. Trade and Regional Integration: Dr. Akhtar recognizes the potential of trade and regional integration to boost economic growth. Her policy direction emphasizes the importance of removing trade barriers, fostering regional cooperation, and capitalizing on opportunities presented by international trade agreements to enhance economic competitiveness.
7. Innovation and Technology: In the era of rapid technological advancement, Dr. Akhtar’s policy direction encourages investing in research and development, promoting innovation, and leveraging technology to drive economic diversification and growth. She supports policies that enable the adoption of digital technologies and the development of tech-driven industries.
8. Good Governance and Institutional Strengthening: Effective governance and strong institutions are critical for sustainable development. Dr. Akhtar’s policy direction emphasizes the importance of transparency, accountability, and the rule of law in shaping economic policies. She advocates for institutional reforms that enhance public service delivery and promote a conducive environment for business and investment.
9. Social Safety Nets: Dr. Akhtar recognizes the importance of social safety nets in protecting vulnerable populations during economic transitions or shocks. Her policy direction supports the development and strengthening of social protection programs that provide a safety net for those in need.
10. International Cooperation: Given her international experience, Dr. Akhtar’s policy direction promotes global cooperation and collaboration. She advocates for Pakistan’s active engagement in international forums, partnerships, and agreements that advance the country’s economic interests and contribute to global development goals.
These policy directions reflect Dr. Shamshad Akhtar’s commitment to a comprehensive and sustainable approach to economic development that encompasses social well-being, environmental stewardship, and global cooperation. Her expertise and vision continue to shape policy discussions and strategies both in Pakistan and on the global stage.
Dr. Akhtar is the recipient of a Fulbright post-doctoral research scholarship on which she attended the John F. Kennedy School of Government at Harvard University in 1986. She holds a PhD in economics and a Master’s in development economics from the UK, and an MSc in economics from Quaid-e-Azam University, in Islamabad.
Latest posts by News Desk (see all)
- Oil Prices down amid Geo-Political Uncertainty - November 1, 2023
- Govt to borrow PKR8.5 trillion in Bond Auction till Jan-2024 - November 1, 2023
- Nishat Chunian Ltd: 1QFY24 profit rises 13 percent to PKR 500mn - October 31, 2023